Wednesday 16 December 2015

Why I Only Re-Read Books at Christmas | TDOC

I very rarely re-read books. Whether it's been a few hours, a few days, a few weeks or a few years since I read a book, I can on most occasions recall almost everything that happens in a book, why it happens, what characters said or did, and how much I liked it, so the feeling to actually re-read almost never comes around, the only exception being at Christmas. For the last three years, I've gotten the re-reading itch around the Christmas season, and while the Christmas season is the perfect opportunity to read some seasonal reads, I always turn to the same books for some winter comfort. But why?

I only wish I had an answer to that question. It could be because of any number of things:

1. I'm busy planning Christmas, I don't have time to take chances


In the middle of summer, I'm more open to taking chances on books I'm not sure about, and even during the colder, more Autumnal months, I takes chances on scary books, something I only make a point of doing rarely, but on the run up to Christmas, I just don't have it in me. I don't have time to scour my bookshelf for what could be my next favourite read when I know there are seasonal books that I love that I could read instead. I don't have the patience for a new and exciting adventure then I have adventures I know and love, and if there's ever a better time to remind myself of why I love these books, it's Christmas.

2. I can't read a book without reviewing it, and that adds pressure


I find it near enough impossible to read a book and not take notes on it. I'm always noting things like the characters, like the development, the plot, the story, the pacing, and it's hard to shut that part of my mind off, yet when I re-read a book around Christmas, I consider it a comfort read, something I can just fall into and fall in love with again and again. When I re-read, I don't feel the pressure of a review, to get thoughts surrounding my mind out because I've already felt those things before, I don't need to note them, I just get to love them, appreciate them and absorb myself into the story I clearly loved before. The personal freedom of not writing reviews for re-reads makes them so much more appealing.

3. Few seasonal reads are published per year, re-reading makes sense


Every year, I ask my parents or friends for at least one seasonal read, either Christmas or Winter themed, and every year it gets more and more difficult to find them. Last year, I managed to acquire Ex-mas, Wintertown and My True Love Gave To Me, but only one of those was a release from that year, and it was the only young adult seasonal release of that year. I read and really enjoyed Trisha Ashley's Twelve Days of Christmas - go figure - and have made it my aim to seek out more of her seasonal work in the next few years, but if there aren't new seasonal releases each year, my only option is to re-read seasonal reads I already own. It's a shame, because there are a lot of people like me who like reading seasonal reads.

The Christmas season is the only time of year that I re-read books, and it's always surprising to see my reading habits change so dramatically in such a small space of time. As soon as Christmas is over, I jump straight back into a normal reading routine, but between now and the big day, it's not unusual to see me re-reading some old favourites such as Dash and Lily's Book of Dares, Let It Snow, Twelve Days of Christmas and new book to join the ranks such as Ex-mas and My True Love Gave To Me, and I can't wait to reunite myself with them.

Do You Re-Read Books? Are You a Seasonal Re-Reader?

11 comments:

  1. I reread ALL the time -- it really depends on mood, which I have the luxury of because my posts are mostly not reviews. December actually ends up the time with the most new reads for me because I'm struggling to reach my Goodreads challenge! My rereading peak season is probably the summer because the summer holidays are a great time to read fanfiction and become re-acquainted with older fandoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a good thing actually, re-reading is more achievable when you're not in need of new, fresh reviews. I find it so interesting that you reread in the Summer, it's like catching up with friends I guess, such a lovely thought. Thank you for your comment Alyssa! :)

      Delete
  2. usually I don't reread books unless I have nothing to read. I don't have a large book shelf with tons of book I haven't read (sadly) but I do have some books I love on it, so when I have nothing to read, and can't go to the library, I pick out one of my favorites and read it again! For me if it's a super good book, it doesn't matter if I read it before, I will read it again! But that's actually quite rare for me! One of the only books I have been able to reread and thoroughly enjoy is LUX! Its probably my favorite series! Although I have enjoyed rereading books, its only been to a certain extent. This series was totally different, I loved it just as much as the first time! Eventually Im going to read it AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a real life Belle with your rereading and reloving the books you've read. I have heard such good thing about Lux - I worry that it's a guilty pleasure read, but I did enjoy Armentrout's mystery novels, so maybe one day I'll give it a go, so thank you for the recommendation and hopefully you read it again soon :)

      Delete
  3. I barely EVER reread. Gah. I wish it was different?! But I love reviewing and I find little point in reading a book I've already reviewed *heavy sigh* ALTHOUGH. I always have exceptions...like I reread Shiver and Forever by Maggie Stiefvater and next year I want to reread all the Raven Cycle books before the Raven King *nods* So it definitely depends. And I honestly don't read a lot of Christmas books because an Aussie christmas is sooooo different to an American one, I just don't connect at all. But it's awesome you enjoy comfort reads! GO YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course your exception is Stiefvater, when is she not? I couldn't imagine not reading seasonal reads, it wouldn't be Christmas without at least one Christmas novel. Wow. Still, good luck with your rereading Cait!

      Delete
  4. I am a firm re-reader :) This year I've returned to 11 books and I have a couple of books on my list for next year. There is just something magical to me about returning to a world and characters I've once loved. I don't mind already knowing what is going to happen (but I do LOATHE spoilers for new books/movies/TV) I just love going back and finding new details :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 11 is a lot of books to reread, but if you loved them, you wouldn't notice it all that much. I agree though, going back and finding the details, those are always wonderful - little easter eggs we call them :)

      Delete
  5. I only re-read one book in 2015, so I guess I am not a re-reader. At least, not any more. Before I started blogging I re-read ALL THE TIME, but since I started blogging 2.5 years ago, I've barely re-read any novels. It makes me sad because I love re-reading a book I love, because it feels so comforting. But it also means I'm reading a lot of new books - possibly favourites. So there are pros and cons, I guess.

    I do like reading Christmas themed books at Christmas, but so far I haven't had to re-read any yet. I almost re-read Ex-Mas this year because I read it in 2013 and really liked it, but I had more than enough for this Christmas season. Maybe next year! I think there is generally one new Christmas release every year, which seems to be enough for me. Just enough to get me in the Christmas spirit ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think taking time to reread old favourites is always a wonderful thing to do though, maybe it's worth taking some time away from the new books and giving the older reads some loving? I read Ex-mas myself this year and really liked it, it's a quick read for the season. Hopefully you'll reread more in the future as you enjoyed doing it previously, good luck Chiara! :)

      Delete